Thread: The D.O.C. contribution on Livin' Like Hustlers?

Default The D.O.C. contribution on Livin' Like Hustlers?

I just went to this rap fan site on reocities.com called Cruzada's Homepage and when I was reading the review for Livin' Like Hustlers, it mentioned that The D.O.C. probably did contribute some lyrics to that album while recovering from his car accident. That would have made sense because his car accident took place at approximately the same time as the recording of the album in 1989.

reviewed by Itch

Above The Law released this ole school classic 90-91. Livin Like Hustlers even gets props from wack magazines like the source. I Think this album was included in the top 100 rap albums ever by the gay publication. Don’t Trip as this record will be appreciated by real Gs as well as Gay magazines like the source. The album is ten tracks deep and not one is weak. On the cd sleeve it gives credit for production to ATL, Dre and Laylaw. However to dispute this , I have heard that Dres input to production was minimal.
    Im Not hating on Dre but Col187um was the original pioneer of sampling funk records on the west coast. On this album James Brown , Issac Hayes and Quincy Jones are amongst the artists whose work have been sampled by Hutch. The album also features “The Last Song” which is Nwas last track in the Ren, Eazy and Dre lineup. As Usual in those days there are no guest appearances apart from Nwa, Go-Mack and Laylaw who are all down wit ATL or where then. ATL have continued that trend of not many guest appearances up to the present day. Rarely if ever do they rely on other artists to make their albums any tighter. Since The D.O.C gets shouts out on this album, I would say dat he was probaly involved in some lyrical coaching since his voice was probaly quite fucked then. What good about this album is although it has only ten tracks every one is tight, No fillaz , back to back rumbles. Here is track listing and short description of tracks.
    1-Murder Rap- Tight, uses Ironside Detective show intro theme as part of production.
    2-Untouchable- Tight, Main hook is “Its Not what you know its what you can prove”
    3-Livin like hustlers- Title track. Tight rythmes and beats and cool intro
    4-Another Execution- Track is about suprisingly, Executing some Captian Save a Hoe
    5-Menace To Society- ATL rappin bout being a Menace To Society
    6 Just Kickin Lyrics- Tight
    7 Ballin- Laid back tune. It is tight but my least favourite track
    8 Freedom of Speech- probaly tightest track on album. My friend thinks this album should be titled after this track. Track is about Freedom Of Speech and lack of it in todays society.
    9 Flow On- ATL just flowin
    10 The Last Song- Another classic track dat makes ten. This features Nwa, there last track in which the line up featured Ren, Eazy and Dre. Nwa and Atl both come Tight
    To summarize this album I would say that they don’t make albums like this any more. For the people who have this record will know what I am sayin. If you don’t have dis shizit go out and purchase it. Even if you are a snobby east coast hoe, if you listen to this you may be able to educate yourself

reviewed by Cruzada

Above the Law are from Pomona, Los Angeles. Tho some of you might even dont know them, they have done more for hip hop than most rap artists would admit. From the Rap Pages entitled as the "Kings of Underground", Above the Law have released many high quality records but never recieved any credits for that, even when Gangsta Rap was popular. ATL's producer Cold 187um got a keyboard from Ike Turner and so ATL started to make music. So no doubt Cold 187um invented the famous g-funk.
    Back in the day the group consisted of 4 members including Go-Mack. They signed to Ruthless in the late 80's and in 1990 their debut, "livin like hustlers", was released. The album was both musically and lyrically juss dope rap music. It starts with the infamous "murder rap", continues on the classic level with "untouchable" and "livin like hustlers" to reach tight songs like "another execution" and "menace to society". Above the law don't spit the usual gangsta shit, like e.g. the D.O.C. they take gangsta rap to the next level. Tho they have hardcore lyrics in their songs they also get political like on the burner "freedom of speech" (my personal favorite track) and ask the government in an imaginatory way why they ain't allowed to curse on the records when they feel like cursin. The production, done by Above the Law, Dr. Dre and Laylaw, is off da hook. They use a lot of 70's music samples. The 10-cut album ends with "the last song", which seems to be a sequel to DOC's "the grand finale" but can't stick up to it.
    Like all shit from Above the law this is a tight record, maybe their best. However check this shit out!

other artists' voices: (taken from Murder Dog vol. 6, no. 2):

That first album was a classic. I really felt that. I like them. They just look like some cool cats. When we look at em they kinda remind us of us. You know how niggas is, they be kickin it. They just be spittin some nice shit at the time we was spittin the same type of shit. That was just some fat shit at the time.
    MJG (from Eightball & MJG)
    credits: 9 out of 10 points

label: Ruthless 1990

production: Above the Law, Dr. Dre, Laylaw

further records:
    "vocally pimpin" EP 1991
    "black mafia life" LP 1992
    "uncle sam's curse" LP 1994
    "time will reveal" LP 1996
    "legends" LP 1998
    "forever rich thugs" LP 1999
    Here's the link:
    http://www.reocities.com/hellrazorcruzada/rev_atl.html
    Last edited by real_muthaphukkin_g_1989; 10-29-2012 at 10:20 PM.
    A real muthaphukkin G that was born in 1989 - what a good year. It was a good year for rap/hip hop and even rock music. 1989 was when N.W.A. became popular and then Ice Cube left, Ronald Reagan left White House and George Bush took his place, Above the Law came to life and The D.O.C. released No One Can Do It Better before a car accident fucked up his voice.

My top 35 albums of 1989

Peace to dem niggaz, even you Eazy!

Thread Information