Thread: Proof that Straight Outta Compton was released in 1989

Default Proof that Straight Outta Compton was released in 1989

I think I finally know why people have been saying that Straight Outta Compton came out in 1989. I was just watching a video of Eazy's documentary on YouTube and at the 10:08 mark, Eazy is saying "it'll be out in January", I thought he was referring to Straight Outta Compton. Here's the clip:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAx_AesUA5M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAx_AesUA5M[/ame]

So, my guess is that the album was "officially" released in January 1989, three months before I was born, yet my copy of it says 1988 as both the copyright and publishing date or maybe advanced promo copies were released in '88 or something. The January 1989 release date would make sense because the CD version has some songs that weren't on the vinyl version, which are the remix version of "8 Ball", "Something Like That" and "Something 2 Dance 2". Also, according to the charts and awards list on Allmusic.com, the album didn't even chart until '89, and Ice Cube also said in one interview that it came out that year.
    Last edited by real_muthaphukkin_g_1989; 03-01-2013 at 10:24 PM.
    A real muthaphukkin G that was born in 1989 - what a good year. It was a good year for rap/hip hop and even rock music. 1989 was when N.W.A. became popular and then Ice Cube left, Ronald Reagan left White House and George Bush took his place, Above the Law came to life and The D.O.C. released No One Can Do It Better before a car accident fucked up his voice.

My top 35 albums of 1989

Peace to dem niggaz, even you Eazy!

Smile Re: Proof that Straight Outta Compton was released in 1989

no straight outta compton came out in 1988

Default Re: Proof that Straight Outta Compton was released in 1989

Quote Originally Posted by marcus View Post
    no straight outta compton came out in 1988
    Yeah, I know, but if you watch the video of that documentary I posted in this thread, at about the 10:08 mark, you can hear Eazy's voice say "it'll be out in January", which I thought he meant January 1989 as the release date for Straight Outta Compton's release date. I wonder why he would say it would be out in January 1989 even though it was already released '88. Maybe he was just referring to the CD reissue. At this time, I'll just say that '88 is the correct date as stated on my own copy.
    A real muthaphukkin G that was born in 1989 - what a good year. It was a good year for rap/hip hop and even rock music. 1989 was when N.W.A. became popular and then Ice Cube left, Ronald Reagan left White House and George Bush took his place, Above the Law came to life and The D.O.C. released No One Can Do It Better before a car accident fucked up his voice.

My top 35 albums of 1989

I'm sure he's referring to the Cd re-issue

Quote Originally Posted by Cris5150 View Post
    I'm sure he's referring to the Cd re-issue
    Yeah, that has to be the case - not because "8 Ball", "Something Like That" and "Something 2 Dance 2" weren't on the LP version, but in 1988/1989, both the music industry and technology were different and some albums that were already on vinyl wouldn't immediately be released on CD (like N.W.A. and the Posse, which was released in 1987 but not on CD until 1989). And besides, if Straight Outta Compton came out in January 1988, why would it even take a year for the album or singles to reach any charts?

My top 35 albums of 1989

Ice Cube said in an interview from 2013 that "N.W.A came out early '89", meaning that Straight Outta Compton was released early that year. I guess the "release date mystery" has been solved.

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/09...terview-easy-e

My top 35 albums of 1989

I Love NWA! I have Listened to Straight outta Compton! I remember as a kid in 1989 Listening to my cousins straight outta compton song in his bedroom and was Rockin his raiders cap! I was Dancing and fell on my cousins stacks of cassette Tapes because that straight outta compton song was my jam in 1989 and it still is today! Even though I was really to young to be Listening to straight outta Compton! I was 5 years old in " 89" I'm 31 years old now and I'm a huge fan of NWA and Eazy-E!

Reading reviews on other sites and comments on YT videos, some said they've heard the album in 1988.

Thread Information