Thread: MC Ren MurderDog 98

Super Moderator

Arrow MC Ren MurderDog 98

MC Ren Interview by Black Dog Bone
    From Murder Dog vol 5 #4

You're about to release your fourth solo album, which of your albums is your favorite?
    This new one, Ruthless For Life, I like the production on this one. I like all the different people that I worked with on there. I just feel it's a strong-ass album compared to the other ones. The other ones were cool for that time, but this is definitely my favorite one. I feel this one and I can't wait for this shit to drop.
    What's the difference between this album and your earlier three?
    The first one, Kiss My Black Ass, that one was tight, I love that one too. I think the new one is the closest thing to that one. The other two in between was something else, but Ruthless For Life is closer to Kiss My Black Ass. It's more street. The other two was cool too, but when I went into the studio doin those two I wasn't really feelin it like I was feelin this one and Kiss My Black Ass.
    When you did Kiss My Black Ass N.W.A. had just broke up--
    That spark was still there. It was almost like doin an N.W.A. thing without the rest of N.W.A. I was just in there bumpin my part. After Kiss My Black Ass it was like--sometimes you can get caught up with the fame or whatever, you can start slippin sometimes.
    I wouldn't say you slipped, you just went into another phase. You became a Muslim and some things probably changed for you.
    It's a lotta things I went through and that was one of the biggest. Once you start finding out certain things--if it's Islam or something else that changes your life--your mind-set at that time be different. People can't understand that shit that you're goin through, it's just something that you gotta deal with that's happening with you alone. What made you decide to make a more street album this time?
    Me tryin to do certain things on record. It's like a muthafucka used to be doin one thing and then all the sudden I just, whoom take this! Niggaz is just like, naw we don't gotta take this. It was too big of a change for them. So instead of me tryin to put out everything I'm learning on record--cause everybody ain't interested in what I'm learning, everybody don't want nobody tryin to tell them shit--so this time I'm, let me take it back to the essence, let me do what got me hear in the first place. Then when I do interviews or niggaz stop me on the street and wanna holler at me like that, then I can holler at 'em cause I got their attention. But when you got somebody comin at you tryin to teach to you and you ain't tryin to hear that shit, you're just gonna be turned off--stay away from me with that shit. A lotta niggaz come out tryin to be teachin shit on records--niggaz ain't feelin that shit. Everybody still got that street mentality and you know niggaz on the street don't want nobody comin up and preachin and shit. There's a time for everybody to tune into that. Sometime in your life you're gonna wanna find out about some shit like that--Islam, Christianity, Judaism, whatever--but you can't make them rush into that shit, everybody's gotta do it on their own.
    If you want to introduce new ideas to people you have to bring it in slowly. If you do a whole album like that they'll reject it.
    That's right, you gotta disguise that shit. It's like you give the baby some medicine straight we won't take it. You gotta put it in his juice or something. He won't even know the shit is in there. It's the same way. So I just said, instead of me just playin myself and goin about it the wrong way let me go about it the right way, the intelligent way where I can still put records out, have people buy my records, and if people wanna sit down and conversate with me about certain topics, we can do it in a different setting. Niggaz don't wanna hear that shit right now. Every year it's a different phase with people who buy records. They go through different stages and shit. Like when P.W. was out everybody was on the pro-Black thing. Then we came and everybody was on the street thing.
    A couple of years ago there was an attack on Gangsta or street Rap and people started kind of toning it down. Now it's coming back really strong again.
    Exactly, I know what you're saying. And it's a lot of people, on the East Coast and other places, that hate West Coast rappers. They think that N.W.A. destroyed Hip Hop. I get them vibes, I pick up on all that shit. A lotta people look at it like West Coast Rap and N.W.A. fucked up Hip Hop, but it's here and you can't throw it away.
    No matter what, when you travel to the Midwest, the South and the West Coast, nobody is really bumping that East Coast Hip Hop. It's just not popular.
    It's always gonna be a nigga that comes up off the street kickin that street shit, some Gangsta shit, and that's what muthafuckas wanna hear. They wanna hear cussin and all that. When we was little niggaz used to listen to Richard Pryor records. My mom had a Richard Pryor record, when they'd leave we'd go listen to the muthafucka. Eddie Murphy come out--everybody wanna hear cussin, that's just how it is. To me cussin is like the modern language. I think a lotta niggaz is hot on that and then niggaz that's cussin on records is makin a lotta money with that shit. When niggaz out here started comin out it fucked up a lotta niggaz on the East Coast's record sales. It's like fools is eatin some regular food and then we come along with some hot sauce and shit and then niggaz ain't buyin plain food, they want the hot sauce. I love them niggaz back in the day like Run DMC and all them, but when we came and Ice T came and all the other niggaz with that shit, it was like how could you go back? It's like muthafuckas is smokin weed and then I'm over here sellin cocaine, once they get hooked they not goin back to the weed. The weed man outa business to the nigga that's sellin the caine. It's like a lotta niggaz had to hang up their routines when we came. Like a new era.
    I feel like there's a campaign to try get rid of West Coast Rap and Down South Rap. Niggaz is hatin on that shit.
    The radio stations in New York don't play any West Coast or South Rap, and then the radio stations out here do the same--they favor New York Rap and hardly support what's coming from LA or the Bay.
    That's exactly right. But that's one of the reasons the shit on the West Coast is so big, that kinda shit motivates niggaz. That shit makes you go, fuck that I'm gonna do it regardless. I done seen it all, I done seen when back in the days and K-Day was here--they played some West Coast but they played a lotta East Coast. Niggaz out here was on New York niggaz's nuts. You could just get off a plane and say you from New York and niggaz out here would be on your nuts. Shit was ridiculous. And you got muthafuckas at home with you right in your own backyard, they won't even play your shit. They had concerts out here, muthafuckin Summer Jams with the radio stations and it'd barely be West Coast rappers--all these West Coast niggaz out here puttin it down and there'd be maybe one or two and the rest would be straight East Coast groups. Even new East Coast niggaz that just come out, but just because they from New York they on the bill. Muthafuckin stations out here overlook the West Coast niggaz cause they wanna be from New York so bad. I'm like, if you wanna be from New York then all these muthafuckas need to go move out to that muthafucka. Stay they ass out there and see how the New York niggaz look at them for tryin to be like them. They'll be wantin to come back.

{read more next post below}

Super Moderator

Arrow Re: MC Ren MurderDog 98

Same thing in the Bay. Last year's Summer Jam, it was all East Coast artists.
    How the fuck you gonna have a Summer Jam concert with no West Coast shit and it's on the West Coast? You go to New York I bet they have nothing but East Coast shit. Maybe they do have a Wet Coast group but it'll be 90% East Coast. I'm not hatin on the East Coast, but if you have a West Coast event it should be a gang of West Coast niggaz representing out there and niggaz should get they shit played as much. You know how radio stations be kiss-asses anyway.
    Who did most of the production on your new album?
    On this album Suave House did like three songs--T-Mix of Smoke 1 Productions.
    I'm curious why you reached out to Suave House?
    A couple of years ago when Eightball & MJG came out with "Space Age Pimpin", that single, I was on the promo tour for the last album and I used to play that shit all the time. Wherever we go, to a retail or whatever, I'd be in the van playin that shit. I was like, I wanna fuck with these niggaz. What happened is I had done a remix for one of the songs on the last album, so I got with them and they did the remix--they came out to LA and did the remix and that shit was hot. I told the nigga, I said, when I work on my next album I'm gonna fuck with y'all. So I called 'em and told 'em to come to LA so we could do some shit. Tony Draper was like, man you should just come out here to Texas cause we got all our shit here. So I was like, fuck it I'm comin to Texas. So we did like three cuts. I did one with Ball & G and I did two solos. I was out there like a week, it was cool, we knocked 'em out--and them muthafuckas came out tight. T-Mix is a tight producer, that nigga is tight tight. That nigga is amazing.
    What about other producers that your worked with?
    I also worked with Ant Banks, and that shit was cool too cause he got that Bay sound. That nigga real cool and we cliqued and just got down. I went to his crib in the Bay, just chillin, doin work. I fucked with him, I fucked with Bobcat--he did the cut that me and Cube did. I fucked with this dude named DJ Raw and Chill from PMW did this shit called "South Crawler" on that. And LT Hutton, he work up at Ruthless, he did a gang of shit, he did "Ruthless For Life" and he did the shit I did with Snoop and RBX. That nigga tight too. He been doin shit, he did shit for Tha Dogg Pound and Mac 10, he did shit for a lotta muthafuckas.
    I've always liked your albums, I feel like you have your own sound, different from N.W.A. But I don't think you've ever gotten the props that you deserve.
    Yeah, but it's about to happen though. It's about to happen right here.
    Who did the production on your other albums?
    I had 187 from Above The Law, he did a lotta production for me. Dude named Rhythm D, Big Jess, Bobcat. It was like a few different people I worked with. 187 did more than anybody, I hope I can get with him again on my next album.
    Your first single out was "Ruthless For Life". What's the second single going to be?
    The one I did with Cube, we're gonna put that one out around end of July.
    Is this the first time you worked with Cube since the N.W.A. days?
    This the first time. That shit was cool, it was cool. That was the first time we did a track together and it was tight. It was so tight that we did another song, we did one for his album too while we was in there. It let me know what we could do if we just get in there and do a gang of shit. That shit would be tight. Niggaz ain't heard us together in ages. If we get in there together with tight-ass production it would be the shit. Me and him was talkin about doin an ep like that at one time--just blow that shit up. Niggaz is waitin for it.
    You're talking about doing another N.W.A. album?
    It's gonna be different from N.W.A. It's 1998 and it's a whole different thing. But I feel that Eazy would be with us if we did it in spirit. We could tie him in with the artwork, we'd put him in there, but we could pull it off with the music and make that shit incredible. It'd be outa here.
    When you think back to N.W.A. what do you remember most?
    I always think about bein in the studio together--just us, not a gang of groupies around--just us every day doin music, jokin around, havin fun with that shit. That's why I think the records was so tight. We was together all the fuckin time.
    Also you were a lot younger.
    I was 17. I was young and everybody else was young--me and Cube is the same age and the others were a little older--but it was just cool when we'd be in there workin together--we would be in there straight concentratin. We would go to the studio every weekday and we would come out till it was finished. When it was time to do records it was just us in there, it wasn't not muthafuckas tryin to tell us what to do. We did everything how we wanted to do it. It was like friendly competition gettin down there on the record. One time we went outa time, first time seein snow. Niggaz had a snow fight right there in the motel room, cause we couldn't even afford hotels we stayed in motels. Then when the money started to come, niggaz started separating. Everybody started gettin little cliques around them and niggaz wasn't that close no more. It just got fucked up.
    I think when the money comes other people come around and start telling you this and that. It breaks up the unity.
    They do. They wanna be down, they wanna roll with you, and they fuck up everything. Everybody wanna try to come in and get a piece of somebody. They feel that the only way to do it is to pull one to the side, cause they can't do it when they're together.
    Itís like divide and conquer.
    Thatís exactly what it was. When Cube left we still did our thing, but when he left it was like the beginning of the end. One leaves it ainít as strong as it was, then itís gonna start fallin apart.
    But even the albums you did after Cube were classics.
    They was classic man, but the end result of that shit, after the classic albums things deteriorated.
    You did two albums without Cube?
    Yeah, Niggaz 4 Life and Hundred Miles An Runnin. They was classic as a muthafucka, but like if that nigga hadnít left the group and he had been on Niggaz 4 Life it woulda been something else. But donít nothing last forever. If people could realize nothing lasts forever their life could be more smooth. The worst part is when you do some shit like that and you realize that nothing lasts forever and one day that shit gonna come to an end. Itís like parents, they love their kids and all that, but you know that one day theyíre gonna be up outa here. You gotta prepare for that day, ainít stoppin that day, that shitís gonna happen. Nothing lasts forever.
    When you go to the studio now and make music do you feel that same energy you used to feel when you first started?
    I try to keep that energy, I try to stay focused, cause I done been through times when I wasnít focused Now I just gotta be focused and donít let nothing distract me. Every time I go in the studio I think about the old days in the studio. I try to keep that in my head to keep me goin. Back then it was just--boom, just workin hard. Once you lose that push to work hard, then shit come out fucked up. you gotta go in there hungry--we was hungry back then--you gotta be hungry.
    Do you feel hungry now?
    Shit, now Iím hungry. Hell yeah, I get a real push just to put MC Ren back and put Ruthless back--that shit give me a thrill to just put it back. Till it gets put back there Iím gonna work hard to do this shit.
    Why do you think people always say that East Coast rappers have lyrics and West Coast rappers donít?
    Itís a lotta West Coast artists got lyrics. Everybody expresses themselves different, ainít nobody gonna make their stuff the same. If you get 10 niggaz and show Ďem something theyíre all gonna interpret it different. I think a lotta people on the East Coast recognize that, a lotta people on the East Coast give props to West Coast artists, but then you get those people thatíre narrow minded who donít wanna open up and give props. I think a lotta people need to open up their minds and accept that people express themselves in different ways. Once you got that in your mind that everybodyís different and everybody expresses themselves different then you can enjoy this shit and make your shit even tighter. The people that wanna divide the shit up is the people that ainít got not skills, so they gotta have something to holler about to bring attention to themselves. Niggaz that are real tight, they donít never holler about that shit. Chuck D, he gives props to the South, to the West, he supports all that shit, he donít say nothing negative about nobody. People like that who are intelligent and have real talent, they can appreciate--real niggaz donít even care where you from. If the shit is good itís good.

for more dope interviews check out www.murderdog.com and check out the archives.

Default Re: MC Ren MurderDog 98

MC Ren states pretty good points in this interview, thx for the post!
    Polish & Proud

Default Re: MC Ren MurderDog 98

hell yea ricko, much appreciated!

Thread Information