Thread: Ice Cube 06/18/13 Interviews & NWA Movie Update

Default Ice Cube 06/18/13 Interviews & NWA Movie Update

Is there a particular record you like to perform from that era?

“When you have so many records and a limited time to do them, it’s always hard to choose which records to do from that era. I like doing ‘The N***a You Love to Hate,’ that record’s got the energy that gets the crowd going. I like ‘Jackin For Beats’ off the ‘Kill At Will’ album. Also ‘Steady Mobbin.’ ‘No Vaseline’ used to be a big hit, but I really stopped doing it after Eazy’s death. I just felt there was no more need for that record.”

With these crowds that you are coming out to, do people know you more from movies and TV or from music?

“I think it’s a mixture of both. A lot of people that follow me back then have followed me through my whole career, through movies and records. We’ve been getting crowds of our peers, our age group. I’m pretty sure most of them know my history. Then I see some of the younger people getting educated as to what I’m all about too.”

Both you and LL were both involved in some famous battles with other rappers. That’s something that doesn’t really happen anymore. Is that a good or bad thing?

“I think it’s kind of like MMA fighting. It’s good for the exercise, it’s good to get your nose bloody. I think social media and Twitter have erased the need to wait until you hear the record, you can actually insult somebody as soon as you hear that they dissed you. I think that has taken the place of a lot of records that would have been done. But I think the essence and the origin of hip-hop is to battle. I think there’s always a place for it, and I’d hate to see it go all the way away, although you don’t want to see people get physical with it. It’s a little dangerous, so in some ways it’s probably good, but to me, as a purist, it sucks.”

Does the competitive nature of hip-hop still motivate you?

“On some level, but on another level I’m trying to do what I feel for my fan base, because I think so many artists are kind of rag dolled into doing what the people who put the money up want them to do. To me, the joy in being independent is being able to do whatever I want to do and try to make it fly and fresh. It’s fun. That’s the tip I’m on, do what I want to do and not worry about what’s on the radio. I just worry about Ice Cube fans and giving them a piece of what they’re looking for.”

What is the situation with the possible N.W.A. movie?

“Universal has picked up the movie. F. Gary Gray will direct the movie. Me, Dr. Dre and Eazy’s widow are producers on the movie, and we’re gonna make a story about the world’s most dangerous group. Hopefully we’ll be shooting by late this year.”

Do you have any idea who’s going to play you?

“I want my son to play me. I don’t know about Jerry Heller yet. We definitely want a top notch actor in that spot.”

Ice Cube performs on the “Kings of the Mic Tour” with Public Enemy, LL Cool J and De La Soul, Bank of America Pavilion, 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 19.

http://artery.wbur.org/2013/06/18/ice-cube-rap

Ice Cube: Cool as ever on Kings of the Mic tour, NWA film and ‘Friday’

Cube — born O’Shea Jackson — is also working on a feature film about Compton collective N.W.A. that will reunite him with “Friday” director F. Gary Gray. He says the movie could hit theaters by mid-2014, and the cast may include his son O’Shea Jr., a budding rapper who goes by the moniker OMG (Oh My Goodness).

“I want my son OMG to play me. He looks like me and he can act, so he can do it,” Cube says. “I just had to meet with [Gray] and Dr. Dre to work on the script and keep getting it tighter and tighter, so we’re in the process of casting the movie now, so it’s full steam ahead. This N.W.A. movie, it’s still my dream. That’s what I’ve been dying to make.”

http://www.metro.us/newyork/entertai...lm-and-friday/

Read more in the links
    Last edited by EazySteve; 06-22-2013 at 11:16 PM.

Default Re: Ice Cube 06/18/13 Interviews & NWA Movie Update

I don't want to see Lil Eazy acting as Eazy-E.

All I got out of this was Cube being re-united with the director of Friday.
    Maybe they can finally make the last one
    Last edited by Tupring; 06-23-2013 at 06:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupring View Post
    All I got out of this was Cube being re-united with the director of Friday.
    Maybe they can finally make the last one
    Are you not interested in an NWA movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    I don't want to see Lil Eazy acting as Eazy-E.
    are you serious?

Yeah, I'm serious. I think he can't act a shit, they need to find actor that could act very good.

I don't think we know if he can act or not. A lot of music artists did a pretty good job their first time around. They're probably not going to put somebody in there that can't act though

Well regardless of casting or whatever, I am just hoping that this movie turns out a lot better than Notorious. Waited all hose years for that movie and it was just awful. I hope they don't drop the ball with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by EazySteve View Post
    Are you not interested in an NWA movie?
    Are you not interested in another Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Bone View Post
    Yeah, I'm serious. I think he can't act a shit, they need to find actor that could act very good.
    Sleazy-E

Thread Information